Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mathman 2008

Hi everyone! Its a new year and quite a bit has happened. The good news is that the wizards of MD Anderson put together a clinical trial that combined Temidor and Avastin that has shrunk my brain tumors. This is truly a miracle and makes for a great victory.

Unfortunately, we think that one of these might have also killed off my platelet producing capability. Pat and I spent 3 weeks over the Christmas and New Years holidays locked away in a hospital room while MDA doctors tried to figure out why this was happening. Shortly before the Christmas break my platelet counts began dropping - first slowly, then very fast - down to nearly nothing. The counts were so low that I could have faced a calamity were I to fall and injure myself. So, they began a program to infuse me with donated platelets - daily. After three weeks of this we finally decided to come home. The platelet problem is still not solved. I encouraged the team to solve math problems with me and to bring their graphing calculators - ahh, but still no progress.

So, keep those prayers coming. Thank you all of you who donated platelets and kept up our morale with calls and visits and cards. To Mrs. Moore's math class, thanks for that great poster. Please know that it was mounted in my hospital room for all to see and it helped my spirits. You kept helping us deal with all the ups and downs - even though I looked like Wolfman Jack! They would not let me shave for fear I might cut myself! Pat liked the beard, but I thought I resembled Ernest Hemingway. I finally got Pat to get out the hair clippers and asked her to cut the beard off. I am now my handsome self.

With Love
Mike Mathman Sheridan

11 comments:

plusjames said...

Mr. Sheridan, I am thinking of you always. Prayers from Houston are coming your way!

Pax,
James Ramos
AP Calculus AB - 5th Period
C/o 2007.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dad,

I am so happy to see that you have updated your blog. You are such a wonderful writer and I look forward to reading them. I love you so much and pray every night that God will get your bone marrow back to producing platelets for you.

Love,
Michelle

rosaura said...

Hey Mr. Sheridan!
Like James said, you are always in our prayers. Best of wishes to you and your family. Also, I was wondering if you could post or write on where or how to donate platelets. I've never donated so I don't know what to do! Isau wants to too.
Much love,
Rosaura Estrada
AP Calculus BC-2nd period
Class of 2008!

Jamie said...

Mr. Sheridan,

Everyone here is praying for you and wishing you the best. I love you from the bottom of my heart.

Always,
Jamie Neville

Mister K said...

Mike--

Your spirit has been an inspiration as long as I have known you, dating back to our days at Branch Crossing. It's even more so now. As I tell our new teachers about you, please know that your positive influence reaches far beyond those you've actually met. That is the mark of a giant.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Very respectfully yours,

Robert M. (Bob) Kissner

Unknown said...

Mike,

I don't think Bob could have said it better. What I remember most about you is the fact that you were always smiling and whistling some kind of tune! It didn't matter what time of the day it was! You really are an inspiration to all of us. I miss working the basketball games with you at Branch. We still tap the possession arrow though! Know that we all love you and you are in all our prayers. Thanks for being my friend and helping me through rough times, I only hope that I can return the favor.

Love always,
Shannon Pierce

Eileen said...

Hi Mr. Sheridan. I'm so glad to here that you're still fighting the cancer. Tiffany's been keeping me posted by e-mails. I know how proud of you she is. I'm glad to see that you're getting all of the love and support from your family and friends to help you get through this. You seem to be maintaining a wonderful attitude throughout your battle. I truly admire you for that. My Mother had that same kind of strong, upbeat attitude through her battle with cancer and it truly helped to carry her through her illness. This letter is LONG overdue. And although I hadn't written until now, you've been in my thoughts, my heart and in my prayers. Keep fighting. God Bless.
-Eileen (Praisner) Curto

Sandy said...

Hi Mike,
In a matter of 9 short days I have experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. First, my beloved Giants beat those CHEATIN' Patriots to win the Super Bowl. Then, only today I heard that the math teacher/ person I admired the most was, as the Giants, a major underdog. Sandy and I are still in shock. As good as it was to see your smiling face it was much more difficult to read your blog. We here in South Hadley send our best and are praying for a full, speedy recovery. We'll keep in touch. By the way, we miss the heck out of you.

Take care,
Bill & Sandy Donah

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad,

Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you just now and that "I Love You"!

Michelle

alohabonnie said...

Hi Mr. Sheridan! Here is a blast from your past. Prayers are now coming from an old student you had in South Hadley, Massachusetts! You are definitely, by far, the best teacher I have ever had! Thank you for always being there for me when I had my own medical issues in high school. I recently had open-heart surgery in Feb. 2008 and I am doing great! I hope your tumors continue to shrink and I will be sending many many prayers your way!

Lots of love and hugs,
Bonnie Paulsen

alohabonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.